Are you looking for a job that provides an opportunity to learn and grow, a stable income, regular shifts and excellent career prospects.
If so, you are in luck as a Sous Chef job can provide all of these things and what’s more, Blue Arrow recruits many Sous Chefs for Sodexo to fulfill roles in hospitals, schools, military bases and at events.
If you are a reliable, quick thinking, creative person then a job as a Sous Chef may be the perfect job for you.
What are the main duties of a Sous Chef?
A Sous Chef reports directly to the Head Chef. The role is made up of many varying responsibilities including:
- Directing the food preparation process and delegating tasks
- Cooking and preparing high quality dishes
- Assisting the Head Chef to create menu items, recipes and develop dishes
- Supervising all kitchen stations
- Supervising, motivating and working closely with other Chefs of all levels
- Being responsible for health and safety
- Being responsible for food hygiene practices
- Ensuring food quality and excellent standards are maintained for all dishes created
- Assisting with determining food inventory needs, stocking and ordering
- Ensuring the kitchen meets all regulations including sanitary and food safety guidelines
To land a job as a Sous Chef you will need:
- Level 1 and 2 Food Safety Awards
- Level 2 Health and Safety in the Workplace Award
- Minimum 2 years relevant experience
- Awareness of manual handling techniques
- Awareness of Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) and chemical safety
- Experience of kitchen equipment
- Experience of dangerous equipment such as knives
- Competent level of English spoken and written
Desirable and useful but not necessary qualifications include:
- City & Guilds 706/1 | 706/2 Catering
- NVQ Level 2
- Level 3 Food Safety Awards
Alongside some of these more general skills, all good Sous Chefs should possess:
- Good knowledge of all sections
- Ability to produce good quality food
- Good oral communication
- Team management skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Good level of numeracy
- Enthusiasm to develop your own skills and knowledge plus those around you
- Adaptablity to change and willingness to embrace new ideas and processes
- Ability to work unsupervised and deliver quality work
- Positive and approachable manner
- Team player qualities
If you are enthusiastic about self-development and embrace opportunities to improve your skills and knowledge whenever possible, you could build a long and rewarding career as a Sous Chef, progressing to a role as a Head Chef if desired.
Finding the right balance between your work and your lifestyle is really important, with a Sous Chef job you will often find that your shifts include days, evenings and weekends so be sure to consider your home and family commitments and choose a career that enables you to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Being a Sous Chef can bring many varied challenges and learning opportunities depending on the location in which you work. You can find out more about each sector you could find yourself working in as a Sous Chef for Sodexo here
If you are looking to the future, then it is good to know that career progression prospects are excellent as a Sous Chef. The role provides the opportunity to learn and develop specialist skills and knowledge while developing your craft with creativity and flair.
While working as a Sous Chef you will gain a vast cross section of transferable skills such as organisation, communication, problem-solving, multitasking, diligence and attention to detail that can be utilised in many roles and industries.
Ready to apply for a Sous Chef job? Click here to see our latest opportunities.
Don’t underestimate yourself, check out our other catering roles and see if there is one more suited to your experience and qualifications.