Are you looking for a job that brings prestige, pride and creativity while providing a stable income and excellent career prospects?
If so, you are in luck as a Head Chef job can provide all of these things and what’s more, Blue Arrow recruits many Head Chefs for Sodexo to fulfill roles in hospitals, schools, military bases and at events.
If you are someone who thrives in a busy atmosphere, can handle the pressure of a thriving kitchen, and has stamina, creativity and attention-to-detail then a Head Chef job may be the perfect job for you.
What are the main duties of a Head Chef?
A Head Chef role is made up of many varying responsibilities including:
- Controlling and directing the food preparation process
- Approving and polishing dishes before they reach the customer
- Managing and working closely with other Chefs of all levels
- Creating menu items, recipes and developing dishes ensuring variety and quality
- Determining food inventory needs, stocking and ordering
- Ultimately responsible for ensuring the kitchen meets all regulations including sanitary and food safety guidelines
- Being responsible for health and safety
- Being responsible for food hygiene practices
To land a job as a Head Chef you will need:
- City & Guilds 706/1 | 706/2 Catering
- NVQ Level 3
- Level 1,2 and 3 Food Safety Awards
- Level 2 Health and Safety in the Workplace Award
- Minimum 2 years relevant experience
- Awareness of manual handling techniques
- Awareness of Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) and chemical safety
- Experience of kitchen equipment
- Experience of dangerous equipment such as knives
- Competent level of English spoken and written
Alongside some of these more general skills, all good Head Chefs should possess:
- Excellent knowledge of all sections
- Ability to produce excellent high-quality food
- Good oral communication
- Team management skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Good level of numeracy
- Enthusiasm to develop your own skills and knowledge plus those around you
- Adaptability to change and willingness to embrace new ideas and processes
- Ability to work unsupervised and deliver quality work
- Positive and approachable manner
- Team player qualities
If you are enthusiastic about self-development and embrace opportunities to improve your skills and knowledge whenever possible, you could enjoy a long and rewarding career as a Head Chef.
Finding the right balance between your work and your lifestyle is really important, with a Head Chef job you will often find that your shifts include days, evenings and weekends so be sure to consider your home and family commitments and choose a career that enables you to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Being a Head Chef can bring different challenges and learning opportunities depending on the location in which you work. You can find out more about each sector you could find yourself working in as a Head Chef for Sodexo here.
If you are looking to the future, then it is good to know that career progression prospects are excellent as a Head Chef. The role provides the opportunity to learn and develop specialist skills and knowledge while developing your craft with creativity and flair.
While working as a Head Chef you will gain a vast cross section of transferable skills such as organisation, communication, problem-solving, multitasking, diligence and attention-to-detail that can be utilised in many roles and industries.
Ready to apply for a Head Chef job? Click here to see our latest opportunities.