Are you looking for a job that gives you the opportunity to develop your skills and prepare healthy nutritious food while providing a stable income, regular shifts and excellent career prospects?
If so, you are in luck as a Commis Chef job can provide all of these things and what’s more, Blue Arrow recruits many Commis Chefs for Sodexo to fulfil roles in hospitals, schools, military bases and at events.
If you are a reliable, quick thinking, creative person then a job as a Commis Chef may be the perfect job for you.
What are the main duties of a Commis Chef?
A Commis Chef assists a section chef, also known as a Chef de Partie. The role is made up of many varying responsibilities including:
- Assisting in the food preparation process
- Cooking and preparing elements of high quality dishes
- Preparing vegetables, meats and fish
- Assisting other Chefs
- Helping with deliveries and restocking
- Assisting with stock rotationCleaning stations
- Contributing to maintaining kitchen and food safety standards.
To land a job as a Commis Chef you will need:
- Level 1 and 2 Food Safety Awards
- Minimum 6 months relevant experience
- Awareness of manual handling techniques
- Awareness of Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) and chemical safety
- Experience of kitchen equipment
- Experience of dangerous equipment such as knives
- Competent level of English spoken and written
Desirable and useful but not necessary qualifications include:
- City & Guilds 706/1 Catering
- NVQ Level 1
- Level 2 Health and Safety in the Workplace Award
- Level 3 Food Safety Awards
Alongside some of these more general skills, all good Commis Chefs should possess:
- Basic knowledge of all sections
- Ability to work under supervision of a limited range
- Ability to produce good quality basic food
- Understanding of health and safety
- Understanding of basic food hygiene practices
- Good oral communication
- Team management skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Good level of numeracy Enthusiasm to develop your own skills and knowledge plus those around you
- Adaptability to change and willingness to embrace new ideas and processes
- Ability to work unsupervised and deliver quality work
- Positive and approachable manner
- Team player qualities
If you are enthusiastic about self-development and embrace opportunities to improve your skills and knowledge whenever possible, you could build a long and rewarding career as a Commis Chef, progressing to a role as a Chef de Partie, Sous Chef or Head Chef if desired.
Finding the right balance between your work and your lifestyle is really important, with a Commis Chef job you will often find that your shifts include days, evenings and weekends so be sure to consider your home and family commitments and choose a career that enables you to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Being a Commis Chef can bring many varied challenges and learning opportunities depending on the location in which you work. You can find out more about each sector you could find yourself working in as a Commis Chef for Sodexo here.
If you are looking to the future, then it is good to know that career progression prospects are excellent as a Commis Chef. The role provides the opportunity to learn and develop specialist skills and knowledge while developing your craft with creativity and flair.
While working as a Commis Chef you will gain a vast cross section of transferable skills such as organisation, communication, problem-solving, multitasking, diligence and attention to detail that can be utilised in many roles and industries.
Ready to apply for a Commis Chef job? Click here to see our latest opportunities.
Don’t underestimate yourself, check out our other catering roles and see if there is one more suited to your experience and qualifications.