Are you looking for a job that gives you the opportunity to lead a team and perfect your skills, while providing a stable income, regular shifts and excellent career prospects?
If so, you are in luck as a Chef de Partie job can provide all of these things and what’s more, Blue Arrow recruits many Chef de Partie’s for Sodexo to fulfil roles in hospitals, schools, military bases and at events.
If you are a reliable, quick thinking, creative person then a job as a Chef de Partie may be the perfect job for you.
What are the main duties of a Chef de Partie?
A Chef de Partie runs a specific section in a kitchen, and report to the Sous Chef. The role is made up of many varying responsibilities including:
- Preparing, cooking and presenting high quality dishes within the speciality section
- Assisting the Head Chef and Sous Chef in creating menu items, recipes and developing dishes
- Preparing meat and fish
- Assisting with the management of health and safety
- Assisting with the management of food hygiene practices
- Managing and training any Commis Chefs
- Monitoring portion and waste control
- Overseeing the maintenance of kitchen and food safety standards
To land a job as a Chef de Partie you will need:
- City & Guilds 706/1 | 706/2 Catering
- NVQ Level 2
- Level 1 and 2 Food Safety Awards
- Minimum 1 years relevant experience
- Awareness of manual handling techniques
- Awareness of Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) and chemical safety
- Experience of kitchen equipment
- Experience of dangerous equipment such as knives
- Understandable level of English spoken and written
Desirable and useful but not necessary qualifications include:
- Level 2 Health and Safety in the Workplace Award
- Level 3 Food Safety Awards
Alongside some of these more general skills that all good Chef de Parties should possess:
- Knowledge and ability to run a section
- Ability to work without close supervision
- Ability to manage Commis Chefs
- Ability to produce good quality food in all sections Good oral communication
- Team management skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Good level of numeracy
- Enthusiasm to develop your own skills and knowledge plus those around you
- Adaptability to change and willingness to embrace new ideas and processes
- Positive and approachable manner
- Team player qualities
If you are enthusiastic about self-development and embrace opportunities to improve your skills and knowledge whenever possible, you could build a long and rewarding career as a Chef de Partie progressing to a role as a Sous Chef or Head Chef if desired.
Finding the right balance between your work and your lifestyle is really important, with a Chef de Partie job you will often find that your shifts include days, evenings and weekends so be sure to consider your home and family commitments and choose a career that enables you to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Being a Chef de Partie can bring many varied challenges and learning opportunities depending on the location in which you work. You can find out more about each sector you could find yourself working in as a Chef de Partie for Sodexo here.
If you are looking to the future, then it is good to know that career progression prospects are excellent as a Chef de Partie. The role provides the opportunity to learn and develop specialist skills and knowledge while developing your craft with creativity and flair.
While working as a Chef de Partie you will gain a vast cross section of transferable skills such as organisation, communication, problem-solving, multitasking, diligence and attention to detail that can be utilised in many roles and industries.
Ready to apply for a Chef de Partie job? Click here to see our latest opportunities.
Don’t underestimate yourself, check out our other catering roles and see if there is one more suited to your experience and qualifications.