Chef Managers oversee the running of an entire culinary team to ensure the highest quality of food and service is delivered on time and within budget. This is an in-demand job with opportunities across the UK.
About you: Are you someone with catering management experience who’s passionate about delivering a first-class service? Do you have leadership skills and are you confident managing budgets and people? Are you flexible, self-motivated with great organisational skills? Are you thorough, with great attention to detail? Do you thrive in a busy environment where you work to tight deadlines? Do you enjoy using your initiative and do you work well with others? Then this could be the job for you.
What you’ll be doing as a Chef Manager:
- On a day-to-day basis you’ll plan, organise and control the busy catering operation ensuring a successful and efficient service is provided.
- You’ll be responsible for recruiting and training staff, working with the kitchen team to develop the menu, order stock, control budgets and record income and expenses.
- You’ll ensure that the service provided is first-class through training and motivating the team.
- You’ll organise and supervise the team in preparing and presenting food to the highest quality.
- You’ll ensure that everyone works to strict compliance-led Food Handling & Hygiene standards and Health & Safety regulations.
- You’ll ensure that team members are available for their required shifts and that there are enough staff to cover busy periods.
Skills, qualifications and experience needed in Chef Manager roles:
- Catering management experience.
- Customer focus with strong communication skills.
- Confidence managing the financial aspect of running a catering operation.
- Experience working with nutritional and dietary requirements to ensure the business is doing the best for customers.
- The ability to work to tight deadlines comes naturally to you.
- Great organisation skills to effectively manage your time and workload and that of your team.
- Good IT skills.
- A degree in business management is desirable, but not essential.
What could a Chef Manager role lead to?
As a Chef Manager, you’ll have the opportunity to build on your management, leadership and client relationship skills as well as gaining experience in developing viable solutions for the commercial food industry. With experience, you could go on to manage larger kitchens and more staff, or even set up your own business in the long term.
View the latest Compass jobs listed below to see what Chef Manager roles are available, or click here for all Chef Manager roles across multiple companies. If a Chef Manager role is not for you, have a look at other Compass roles we recruit for: