Working as part of a team in time-bound and often challenging kitchen environments. Production Chefs work as part of a team in time-bound and often challenging kitchen environments, for example; schools, hospitals, the Armed Forces, care homes and high street casual dining or pub kitchens. They report to the Senior Production chef or appropriate line manager.
Production chefs are likely to work with centrally developed standardised recipes and menus, producing food often in high volumes. They apply highly methodical organisational skills, energy, accuracy, attention to detail and are mindful of the importance of sustainability and protecting the environment.
The minimum duration for this apprenticeship is 12 months.
The programme of learning covers six topics, each split into three competency areas of knowledge, skills and behaviours:
- Kitchen Operations
- Legal and Governance
- Business / Commercial
- Personal Development and Performance
- Maintain excellent standards of personal, food and kitchen hygiene.
- Ensure compliance to procedures, menu specifications and recipes.
- Produce food meeting portion controls, and budgetary constraints
- Adapting and produce dishes to meet special dietary, religious and allergenic requirements
- Follow, complete and maintain production schedules, legislative and quality standard documentation
- Use specialist kitchenequipment
- Communicate internally and externally with customers and colleagues
- Commit to personal development activities
Once the programme of learning is complete, the learner, employer and training provider will agree the necessary Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours/Attitudes have been met. The learner will then be put forward for the independent End Point Assessment (EPA). The EPA will be carried out by an approved independent organisation, nominated by the employer or training provider. The Production Chef Apprenticeship Level 2 End Point Assessment will include the following types of assessment:
- On demand test
- Practical observation
- Professional discussion