Fixed Term Contract - Part Time - no previous experience required
We're currently seeking to employ a team of Junior Laboratory Assistants in Leamington Spa to work in a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This role represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health. Successful candidates will be offered the opportunity to be trained on new processes and develop a wide set of laboratory skills.
We are looking for team members who are able to learn new skills, work as part of a dynamic team, have attention to detail and able to follow health and safety standards.
As well as a competitive rate of pay of between £14.82 p/h to £17.29 p/h (dependent on shift and inclusive of uplift for nights), you'll receive a bonus and comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment.
The bonus will be paid in two parts. 10% of your salary will be paid after 9 months and a further 10% after 18 months. For example, if your salary is £9,247.68 you will be paid a bonus of £693.57 after 9 months and once more after 18 months.
This role will work on a shift pattern and will require full flexibility. We have 2 Part Time Night Shifts available:
- 20 hours - Thursday (£14.82 p/h) and Friday, (£16.05 p/h)
- 20 hours - Saturday (£16.05 p/h) and Sunday (£17.29 p/h)
If you are interested in supplementing your PT hours by working additional shifts, whilst not guaranteed, overtime opportunities may be offered to cover holidays and absence.
To learn more, please speak to our team.
As a Junior Laboratory Assistant, you will be responsible for providing support with the processing of testing samples from receipt, through to sample processing and storage, in line with laboratory and quality management processes. During your shifts you will have the opportunity to work closely with Junior Lab Technicians, Senior Lab Technicians and Biomedical Scientists.
You will support testing within a specific section of the process, inclusive of:
- Sample Unpacking (This will entail removing a high volume of double bagged samples from boxes and neatly preparing them for the next station by carefully placing them in sealed plastic crates)
- Sample Preparation (This involves carefully removing samples from their bags, ensuring the sample is fit to continue in the process (for example ensuring there are no leaks and/or cracks in the vials), and carefully placing these samples in a well-plate. Sample preparation takes place within a microbiological safety cabinet, for which training will be provided)
- Equipment Operator Support (This will involve maintaining sample flow to each workstation, re-stocking equipment consumables and removing bio-contained waste to enable continuous station operation.)
In addition, the following is desirable but not mandatory:
Experience and Education:
- Laboratory experience
- Experience in high throughput environment (e.g. Manufacturing)
- Experience in working within strict Health & Safety procedures
- Experience working in a team
- GCSE Maths and English - Grade C /4-5 or above (or equivalent qualification)
- Ability to follow specific instructions and follow a process
- Ability to learn a number of different processes and be able to support several laboratory tasks
- Ability to learn how to work with laboratory equipment. (Training will be provided)
- Ability to work productively within a team
- Ability to remain attentive whilst undertaking process-based tasks
- Understanding of relevant health and safety policies and procedures relative to the role
- High attention to detail and ability to identify and escalate risks and issues
- Clear and concise communication skills
- Confidence in articulating process and/or safety breaches
Successful candidates will be provided with training and accreditation for all of the roles and processes they are required to undertake and will have the opportunity to learn and develop new skillsets.
As part of the recruitment process, successful candidates are required to complete online tests for which no specialist knowledge or experience is required. These tests are incompatible with smartphones, and must be completed on a computer, laptop or tablet.
Please note that if you are successful in your application for this role, your job title when you start work will be Laboratory Support Technician. This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focussed on delivering the best possible outcome.
Please be aware that BPSS (Baseline Personnel Security Standard) including a media check, is the required level of screening for all staff working at the Leamington Spa Laboratory.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.