Chefs required to work in Prison - Stoke Heath x10
Contract type: Immediate start ongoing full time position, some locations can lead to perm positions
Locations: Market Drayton, Stoke on Trent, North Staffordshire, Ashbourne
Hourly rate paid weekly £18.50 per hour enhanced rates on weekends ranging between £27.75 to £37 per hour
We are currently looking to recruit several Chefs to work within Prisons located within Stoke on Trent Market Drayton and North Staffordshire. We are looking to submit several chefs straight away for their prison vetting, for the Market Drayton site. Once your vetting has been cleared there will be an immediate start date, but don't worry whilst you wait for this, we can offer to fill any gaps.
The ideal candidate will be working within busy kitchens working with fresh nutritious food daily, whilst adhering to dietary requirements. You will be required to Supervise Prisoners, with food preparation, and cooking of the meals following health and food safety on site.
*There is a separate Prison Vetting alongside Blue Arrow compliance that must be completed, this is on top of Blue Arrow registration.**
However, if you have completed a prison vetting check previously, within the last 2 years or worked in a prison, this may also offer an immediate start date.
- Great pay rates paid weekly
- ongoing work, offering full time hours
- Dedicated consultant
- Great opportunity for a foot in the door with a fantastic company
- holiday accrual
- Company pension scheme
- Some shifts can offer a early finish
- Not every weekend worked
- Even though a lot of your roles will be on a temporary basis, these can quite easily lead to permanent work for the right candidates.
The working environment
As you can imagine you are required to work on site the Prison restaurants and you will be working with residents in the kitchen as part of the work party along with Civilian Catering Staff. On your first day there will be a full induction, along with key training once this completed there will then be radio training on offer too. Majority of the food will be cooked in bulk and batch cooked, very similar to contract catering environments.
- Work within a team to ensure jobs are completed for the day
- Putting away deliveries.
- Possibility of food orders, dependant on the role you are placed into i.e. head chef/chef manager.
- Assist with the preparation of food & other areas of the kitchen including pot washing, and basic cookery skills
- Adhering to all relevant health and safety requirements
- Cooking nutritious food within requirements
- Ensure a clean as you go policy is being always operated
- Possibility of serving food and stocking up trolleys.
- Training and supervising Prison residents on site
Requirements and skills:
- Previous experience as a chef up to supervisory level or worked in a prison previously.
- For an immediate start ideally, you would have prison checks completed within the last year, or willing to go through one with the prison directly, this can take some time to be returned.
- Flexibility in shift patterns including weekends - must be able to cover full time hours
- Great communication and teamwork skills
- Level 2 food hygiene certificate dated within the last 3 years
- happy to conduct extra Prison checks, due to the environment of the role
- Happy to work in a prison, with prison catering staff onsite.
- An in date Enhanced DBS covering child or adult or both workforce DATED WITHIN THE LAST 12 MONTHS ideally on the new updated service programme. (we do have the Facilities to put you through one at a cost)
- Ability to work under pressure
- Due to certain locations a full UK driving license is required along with own access to a vehicle
If you have a car and are flexible with traveling great, majority of our prisons offer on site parking. Due to the location a few of the prisons will need your own transport, however if you want to be considered then please reach out to us, to discuss your options.
As you will be working within a prison the hours can vary every shift, once you start your assignment with the prison you will receive a rota, and the hours can vary from 6am till 7pm, you must be able to commit within these hours, and work weekends as and when required. Weekly average is between 41 hours and 39 hours per week, some even offer an earlier finish.
We can't wait to speak with you, So if you think this is just what you're looking for then click apply today to book your interview slot with Blue Arrow. Alternatively as we can offer an immediate start please call us on 01332 405100 OPT 1