Standard rate: £18.50p/h (Enhanced rate for Bank Holidays and Weekends)
Contract type: Immediate start Temporary ongoing long term position full time hours
We are currently looking to recruit a Chefs or Cook with experience within a DBS controlled environment or a Prison background, to support a local prison within the area for any sickness, absences, and recruitment cover. This will be a full-time position once started, some roles may lead to permanent contracts.
** Please note - There are separate Prison Vetting checks alongside Blue Arrow compliance that must be completed, this is on top of the standard Blue Arrow registration. This can take a while to complete, however we are able to place you into work in meantime in different environments, to ensure you are still within work and earning money whilst we wait for these checks to be returned. If you have worked for a prison recently, we can potentially offer an immediate start date. **
* Work within a team to ensure jobs are completed for the day
* Supervise Prisoners, with food preparation, and cooking of meals following the health and food safety procedures on site.
* Putting away deliveries.
* Possibility of food orders, dependant on the role you are placed into.
* Assist with the preparation of food & other areas of the kitchen including pot washing, and basic cookery skills
* Adhering to all relevant health and safety requirements
* Cooking nutritious food within requirements
* Ensure a clean as you go policy is being always operated
* Possibility of serving food and stocking up trolleys.
* Training and supervising Prison residents on site
* Working within busy kitchens working with fresh nutritious food daily, whilst adhering to dietary needs and requirements.
Requirements and skills:
* Previous experience as a chef up to supervisory level or worked in a prison or DBS controlled environment previously.
* You must have prison vetting checks completed, within the last 2 years.
* Must also have DBS enhanced dated within last 12 months, or ideally on the new updated service programme. we do have the facilities to process one for you, terms and conditions apply.
* For an immediate start ideally, you would have prison checks completed within the last 2 years, or willing to go through one with the prison directly, this can take some time to be returned please consider this, but we will offer short term work in the meantime whilst you wait.
* Flexibility in shift patterns including weekends - must be able to cover full time hours
* Great communication and teamwork skills
* Level 2 food hygiene certificate dated within the last 3 years (we can assist with this)
* Happy to conduct extra Prison checks, due to the environment of the role
* Happy to work in a prison, with prison catering staff onsite.
* Ability to work under pressure
The working environment
As you can imagine you are required to work on site the Prison kitchens and you will be working with residents on a daily basis, as part of the work party along with Civilian Catering Staff. On your first day there will be a full induction, along with key training once this is completed there will then be radio training on offer too. Majority of the food will be cooked in bulk and batch cooked, very similar to contract catering environments.
If you think this would be a suitable role for yourself and would like to apply, APPLY NOW and one of our consultants will be in touch or give us a call on 01283 537660