Development and opportunities
As a standout Kitchen Porter there are lots of opportunities to gain hands-on kitchen experience. This role is also a great stepping-stone towards becoming a kitchen assistant or cook, if this is your goal. As you become more efficient at cleaning the dishes, you gain time to work with the chefs on food preparation. Soak in as much knowledge as you can and over time we would love to support you in this progression.
It is also an excellent opportunity to develop your leadership and team management skills. With some experience under your belt you can be responsible for training new Kitchen Porters in your team, and taking charge of your sections stock.
If you're self-motivated and enjoy working quickly and cleanly in a methodical manner then you're going to get great job satisfaction working in our kitchen. The ability to prioritise and manage your own time is going to make you stand out in the role of Kitchen Porter
Culture and Inclusion:
If you enjoy working with people from a wide range of backgrounds, and being an integral part of the team then we'd love to hear from you. Although it can be a high-pressured environment at times, working well as a team and helping each other out fosters great working relationships.
You will have:
- Good working knowledge of kitchen practices
- Experience of washing dishes and cleaning in a commercial kitchen
- Ability to work well with your hands and physical skills like movement, coordination and dexterity
- Physically fit enough to work on your feet for most of the shift
- Organisational skills and the ability to work methodically, and prioritise items that are needed in the kitchen for service
- Understanding of basic food hygiene practices
- Understanding of the importance of stock rotation when storing deliveries, especially perishable items
As the Kitchen Porter you will be/have:
- Excellent attention to detail, ensuring everything that comes to you is clean, dry and put away in the correct place, and your work station is kept clean and sanitary
- A good team player with excellent communication skills
- Reliably on-time for every shift, and trustworthy enough to work independently at the end of the night
- A flexible approach to work
- Ability to work well under pressure within a fast-paced environment, especially in busy periods
- Ability to work from your own initiative, and seek out additional tasks when your workload is quiet
- A willingness to take instruction, and ask questions when you don't understand or need more information
- A positive attitude and good problem solving skills
In this role you will:
- Wash up dishes, and cleaning kitchen appliances, work surfaces and walls
- Prepare work surfaces to ensure hygiene standards are adhered to
- Ensure pots, pans plates and cutlery back into use quickly during service
- Receive and unloading deliveries; when unloading items provide organisation in the kitchen and storeroom
- Remove waste and recycling throughout the day and at the end of a shift
- Sweep and mop the floor
- Keep track of chemicals and cleaning items needed for your section, and notifying the Head Chef when stock is running low
- Basic food preparation and assisting the chefs where appropriate, such as washing and peeling vegetables, moving deliveries to storage areas, cleaning of kitchen equipment and areas
Please get in touch!