Starting at £35,000 dependant on experience plus a share of the annual tips - LIVE OUT
Previous experience at this level required with high level properties, Michelin or 3 AA Rosette
Purpose: To act as Sous chef and Head Chef in Chef's absence; planning, organising and communicating within all kitchen departments. To build a motivated team of service staff by taking an active interest in their welfare, safety and development.
Responsible to: Head Chef and General Manager
Responsible for: All chefs and kitchen porters
Must be an inspirational leader, motivating and developing the team with their correct example and creating a culture of passion and enthusiasm for the preparation and service of food. You will cultivate an excellent working partnership with the restaurant management team.
They must provide food that not only meets and exceeds our guest expectations in flavor, substance and presentation, but is also in line with agreed company & legal standards. This is in addition to ensuring that the food costs of the business are well managed.
Key Responsibilities is to assist the Head Chef with the below and lead in their absence:
- To work with the restaurant team to understand customer expectations, comments and to handle any complaints to satisfy the customer promptly
- To consistently prepare and cook all food to the standards and dish specifications, and train the team to do the same
- To be a team player at all times and be prepared to be flexible in order to ensure that all operations are always as guest-focused, efficient and profitable as possible.
- To ensure that the hotel's Health & Safety Policy and Food Safety Management System are adhered to in the kitchen including all related paperwork checks & record keeping
- To ensure the kitchen is fully prepared, stocked and set for service at the correct times
- To be responsible for the performance of the whole kitchen team and the delivery of quality food at all times
- Be a role model for the team by actively displaying consistent cooking skills, a positive & proactive attitude and hygienic appearance at all times
- To carry out recruitment, supervision, planning, training, coaching and developing of the kitchen team to meet the needs of the guest, the business and the company
- To promote best practice within the kitchen & constantly look to improve processes & procedures
- To delegate responsibly and make follow-up checks to ensure the performance of the kitchen and kitchen team when not personally present
- To lead tastings and train all team members in food knowledge at every opportunity
- To encourage team members to continually improve their performance - recognising, praising and rewarding excellent performance in the team
- To ensure that your kitchen team understands the correct preparation, cooking, presentation & service of food
- To conduct annual appraisals and continuously develop your team through regular reviews & agreeing quarterly SMART objectives that are followed through with each team member
- To carry out any formal discussions with the team, provide updates & evidence for your Manager to support possible disciplinary processes
- To attend, communicate effectively at & contribute to weekly management meetings and shift briefings every day, To ensure feedback from the previous weeks' financial results & minutes is given.
- To attend, plan & help to lead full team meetings and undertake key tasks and/or projects
- To work with Chez Roux to collaborate and devise an inspiring and engaging ongoing training and development calendar for chefs