Job Title: Head Chef
Days: Monday to Friday with occasional weekends to cover
Hours: 40 hours between 0730-1730
Salary: £26,000 per annum
Reporting to: Catering Manager
Based at: Newcastle
Competency Level: Level 2 Manager & Operate Competency Framework
Responsible for the provision of seasonal food in a contemporary style in line with the company brand. To maintain standards of quality, food hygiene and health and safety. Where relevant (given the site structure) deputise for the Exec Chef in the running of the kitchen operation or responsible for the full management of the kitchen and the kitchen team. Delivers all budgetary targets and provides high standards of customer service. To work on a shift basis as required by the business.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities Food Production
* To fully understand and interpret the company brand in terms of food and food service
* To develop and plan menus that are in line with client and customer expectations at the relevant company site
* To prepare and oversee all preparation of food to the highest standard and in line with the company style
* To ensure food is seasonal, of known provenance and where possible sourced locally
* To produce food in a timely fashion to ensure smooth service to the customers
* To ensure that all appropriate ingredients are available for the menus being prepared and where necessary identify shortages and instigate action to source ingredients
* To deputise in the Ex Chef's absence where appropriate.
* To assist Exec Chef (where relevant), Company Chefs and Food Development Director in developing and producing new service styles and food concepts
* Raise all supplier quality issues with the Procurement Department
* To communicate with the relevant parties' requirements for planned menus and order necessary ingredients
* To coordinate stock ordering and stocktaking for the entire operation.
* Plan menus and prepare food in order to minimise wastage
* Control costs through efficient purchasing and use of existing stock whilst ensuring that standards and style is maintained.
* Ensure with Exec Chef, where appropriate, that budgetary targets are delivered on site through a thorough understanding of GP, GP%, selling price, cost price, margin, mark up and calculation of menu costs through recipes.
* Responsible for ensuring weekly and monthly stock takes
* To administer unit controls and keep records using the appropriate systems
Managing / Developing a Team
* Depending on site structure either overall responsibility for managing the kitchen team ensuring that they are all are aware of the company standards and carry out their jobs in line with those standards or in partnership with the Exec Chef
* Responsible for leading the kitchen team in producing high quality seasonal food in a timely fashion.
* Conduct daily briefings before service ensuring all Chefs understand the day's menus and are aware of their responsibilities for the day
* Provide feedback and coaching on performance
* To provide any necessary on-job training whereby increasing the team's understanding and knowledge of produce.
* To carry out performance appraisals as and when directed by the company.
* To manage poor performance in line with the company process, where relevant reporting performance issues and actions to Exec Chef / site General Manager
* To induct new staff into their position.
* To monitor the attendance of the kitchen brigade
Health & Safety
* To understand and comply with statutory health, hygiene and safety, quality standards including COSHH and HACCP and to ensure that all tasks are carried out in accordance these standards by all members of the kitchen team
* To ensure that the kitchen team have completed up to date COSSH and Food Hygiene training.
* To ensure equipment and food temperature readings are taken and recorded on a daily basis
* To ensure all food is labelled and dated in fridges and freezers
* Wear the correct uniform and safety shoes as directed and maintain uniform items appropriately.
* Report any equipment and/or building fabric faults and any hygiene, health and safety hazard to the General Manager.
* To seek customer feedback during service and use the information to develop the food and food service offering in the relevant site
* To maintain a professional and friendly image with the client and customers at the relevant site
* Work effectively with all colleagues at the relevant site to ensure excellent customer service
* Attend to customer needs in a polite and helpful manner providing assistance where necessary in line with the company style and to respond appropriately to any customer queries or complaints taking responsibility to resolve where necessary
* Be up to date with customer needs and tastes and communicate any ideas to the Exec/ Company Chef as appropriate.
* To attend training courses and attend meetings when necessary
* To act as a resource to the General Manager, Exec Chef, Company Chef and Food Development Director.
Job Title: Head Chef