Relief Prison Chefs - Stoke on Trent and Stafford x10
Contract type: Immediate start Temporary ongoing full time hours once started, and prison vetting checks completed.
Hourly rate £12 per hour for weekday shift enhancement on weekends
Location: Stoke, Stafford & Staffordshire - multiple prison sites.
*There is a separate Prison Vetting alongside Blue Arrow compliance that has to be completed, this is on top of Blue Arrow registration. This can take a while to complete - please consider this. **
We are currently looking to recruit several Chefs to work within Prisons in and around Stoke on Trent. You will be required to help and support with any sickness, and long term cover, also to support with the increase demand. This will be a full-time position once started, some roles may lead to permanent contracts too.
The ideal candidate will be working with fresh nutritious food adhering to dietary requirements. This role can offer daytime shifts, occasional weekends and great pay rates. You must have prison vetting checks completed, within the last 2 years or worked in a prison previously. Must also have DBS enhanced dated within last 12 months. If you have worked for a prison recently we can potentially offer an immediate start date.
Requirements and skills:
* Previous experience as a chef up to supervisory level, or worked in a prison previously.
* For an immediate start ideally you would have prison checks completed within the last year, or willing to go through one with the prison directly, this can take some time to be returned.
* Flexibility in shift patterns including weekends - must be able to cover full time hours
* Great communication and team work skills
* Level 2 food hygiene certificate dated within the last 3 years
* happy to conduct extra Prison checks, due to the environment of the role
* Happy to work in a prison, with prison catering staff onsite.
* An in date Enhanced DBS covering child or adult or both workforce DATED WITHIN THE LAST 12 MONTHS ideally on the new updated service programme. (we do have the Facilities to put you through one at a cost)
* Ability to work under pressure
* Due to certain locations a full UK driving license is required along with own access to a vehicle
As we cover a lot of prison locations across Stafford and Staffordshire your commute will vary. If you have a car and are flexible with locations, great. If you're limited to public transport, we'll only send you to places that have public transport links and provide you with all the information you will need to get there.
The working environment
As you can imagine you are required to work on site the Prison restaurants and you will be working with residents in the kitchen as part of the work party along with Civilian Catering Staff. On your first day there will be a full induction, along with key training, once this completed there will then be radio training on offer too. Majority of the food will be cooked in bulk and batch cooked, very similar to contract catering environments.
* Work within a team to ensure jobs are completed for the day
* Putting away deliveries.
* Possibility of food orders, dependant on the role you are placed into i.e head chef/chef manager.
* Assist with the preparation of food & other areas of the kitchen including pot washing, and basic cookery skills
* Adhering to all relevant health and safety requirements
* Cooking nutritious food within requirements
* Ensure a clean as you go policy is being operated at all times
* Possibility of serving food and stocking up trolleys.
* Training and supervising Prison residents on site
As you will be working within a prison the hours can vary every shift, once you start your assignment with the prison you will receive a rota, and the hours can vary from 6am till 8pm, you must be able to commit within these hours, and work weekends as and when required.
* Great pay rates
* ongoing work, offering full time hours
* Dedicated consultant
* Great opportunity for a foot in the door with a fantastic company
* holiday accrual
* Company pension scheme
* Even though a lot of your roles will be on a temporary basis, these can quite easily lead to permanent work for the right candidates.
We can't wait to speak with you, So if you think this is just what you're looking for then click apply today to book your interview slot with Blue Arrow.