Warehouse work can have its ups and downs with busy periods where shifts are abundant, not so busy periods when moving between warehouses to follow the work is necessary.
Getting back to work after a quiet period or even moving to a new warehouse job after being in one place for a while can be a daunting prospect. Brushing up on your employability skills is an excellent way to develop your confidence and give you the very best chance of succeeding, not only in a warehouse job search but also in your everyday work as a warehouse operative.
In the world of work, things change fast and the competition for job opportunities is extremely high. Upskilling (developing the skills you already have) is a great way to set you apart from other candidates, boost your career and your pay packet.
Investing in your skills while you are between jobs or on your days off helps you to stay ahead of the competition and be in with the best chance of securing a job fast.
If you don’t already have a driving license, begin working towards getting one and your chances of finding work double straight way. If you do have a license, have you considered developing it to get a HGV or LGV license?
It’s not just driving on roads that can boost your career, the ability to operate machinery such as holding a forklift license can make you an excellent candidate for many work opportunities and often brings increased rates of pay.
These accreditation bodies for forklift training can help you find a reputable training course:
There is no doubt that the internet is an excellent resource when you are looking for a job and learning new skills but nothing can completely replace real people working together to support you and your unique needs. Blue Arrow have branches located throughout the UK and their branch staff are uniquely placed to help you find work, move between work placements and support you in your applications, skills development and interview techniques. You can find your local Blue Arrow branch using our branch locator here
JobCentre Plus also has centres located across the UK providing many valuable services to those looking for work, seeking skills training, voluntary positions, or vocational development opportunities among many other services. You can find your local JobCentre Plus here.
Online Resources & Courses
Free courses are abundant across the internet that teach the fundamental skills we all need in order to be successful at work. From literacy and numeracy, to IT and digital skills not to mention employability and social development skills.
Make the Blue Arrow website your first port of call, it contains lots of information for all aspects of your career.
If you are looking to take a skills development or vocational course these are some excellent options available to you, many of which are free.
- Employability Essentials – A free LearnDirect course that helps you to find a job, write a CV and covering letter, and learn interview skills.
- National Careers Service – Find college courses your area
- City & Guilds Vocational training – A City & Guilds qualification can be the perfect way to boost your career.
- English maths and It functional skills – Access free English and Maths courses here
If warehouse work is not for you but you are not sure what sort of job you would like you can check out our ‘how to become’ guides that will help steer you in the right direction for the training, licences, skills and experience needed for many excellent career choices.
Join the Blue Arrow family, click here to see our latest warehouse jobs
Wondering what your take home pay will be, click here and check out our handy salary calculator tool
Click here to access our free CV templates and our guide to creating a great CV
Latest Warehouse Jobs
- Warehouse Operative Belfast, Northern Ireland, Northern Ireland £8.80 - £9.60 per Hour Find out more
- Warehouse Operative South Ockendon, Essex £8.21 - £12.31 per Hour Find out more
- Order Picker Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, West Midlands, England £8.70 per Hour Find out more
- Warehouse Operative Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, West Midlands, England £8.70 per Hour Find out more
- Warehouse Operative - Hoddesdon Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire £8.21 per Annum Find out more